Banedanmark is in the process of building a new dual track railway between Copenhagen and Ringsted via Køge. This will offer a better timetable with more departures, shorter travel times and fewer delays. The budget is DKK 10.4 billion and the line is due to open in 2019. The line is designed to handle speeds of up to 250 km/h for passenger trains and is Denmark's first railway for high speed trains.
Facts about the new line
The new line is the largest rail project in years. It includes:
- 60 km dual track railway.
- Electrification of the new line.
- Platforms at Ny Ellebjerg St.
- An additional track at Køge St.
- Track renovation at Ringsted St.
- A new station (Køge Nord).
- A connection to Lille Syd.